Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Believing God.....and learning to depend on others.

2011....I will believe God and remember what He has done.

This morning I was reading in My Utmost for His Highest.  The title of today's devotion is, " What My Obedience to God Costs Other People."  Now I have been using this devotional since college, so of course, I have read this one several times before.  God continues to reveal new things to me each time.  How cool!

"If we obey God, it will mean other people's plans are upset.  They will ridicule us as if to say, 'You call this Christianity?'"  Yep, been there recently...with family members.  I want other people to be happy with me, but realistically, I can't please God and men, too.  There are going to be times that others don't understand why I am doing what I am doing and they will not approve. What God has called me to do may costs others something.  But if I am in love with Jesus, I will obey Him.

Back to Utmost,  "A lack of progress in our spiritual life results when we try to bear all the costs ourselves.....Will we remain faithful in our obedience to God and be willing to suffer the humiliation of refusing to be independent?"  OUCH!  I am one who for years tried to do everything by myself and would not ask for help and rarely accepted help offered.  Stubborn and independent, and I am not sure if I saw it as weakness to not be able to get it all done by myself.  Probably, more the truth, is that I was afraid of being a burden to others.  I didn't want to be needy, but I was worn out and frustrated.

God has done MAJOR work on me in the past few years, thankfully.  Ok, I just admit it now....I'm needy! Thankfully, I have friends who love me anyway:)  God has put a precious few friends in my life who have willingly paid the price of being a friend to Monica!  Oh, I am so thankful.  I have learned to accept their help, as often I have seen them blessed to be that willing vessel God uses to meet my need.  They are able to use the gifts God has given them, and I have been able to do what God has called me to do.  I say this in respect to the times God has allowed me to go on mission trips or stay 6 nights (out of the 9 he was there) at the hospital with my husband after surgery.....when he needed me or serve as a women's ministry leader!  FRIENDS......willing to lay down their lives.  So blessed to have people in my life like Carmen Pearce and Banner Brewer....who will keep my three boys and enjoy it! How many people are willing to keep a few extra boys....and have fun doing it? Then I have precious friends who step up and help in other ways, using the talents and resources God has given them (Okay Jana...you organizing, creative goddess!) God has been good....He provides.... I just have to accept His provision and be thankful.  I have learned, it all works out.

So thank you, to the handful of faithful friends who pay the price of my obedience to Christ.  So often, I have nothing to offer in return.....but a grateful heart for these precious people being His hands and feet to this needy soul!  I can't do it all myself.... I need you, and that is the way God intended it to be.

4 comments:

Banner said...

I love you my needy Friend...love, your needy Friend(:

Unknown said...

So glad God uses each of our strengths to minister to each other. (How many nights would we have not eaten (or not eaten well) if hadn't been for you? :) Thankful for my friend who tells me the truth! :)

R n R said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
R n R said...

Beautiful blog, beautiful and timely post! I goggled "learning to depend on others" and this appeared on the very top of the list! God is great!